Québec is one of the few places in the world where a company can carry out all stages of development for a drug or medical device, from basic research right up to marketing. Strong synergy is created by the vitality of research centres, funding agencies, and partnerships with companies that develop, test and design technologies and innovative medical products.
The life sciences industry in Québec:
- More than 400 companies are active in basic research, manufacturing, biotechnology, contract research and medical technology.
- The sector employs 25,500 highly qualified people.
- World-class research centres stand out for their major scientific breakthroughs.
- Several international companies, such as Pfizer, Sanofi and Merck, have established their Canadian headquarters in Québec.
- More than 20 public and university-based research centres.
- Affordable costs, easy access to patients, a high level of medical expertise and a population willing to participate in clinical trials: all these advantages make Québec a veritable goldmine for clinical research.
Québec boasts several sectors of excellence for which the expertise of the labour force and researchers is renowned. Areas of excellence recognized worldwide: cancer, genetics, genomics and proteomics, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases, neuroscience and mental health, personalized health care, aging, implants and biomaterials, medical imaging and radiography, and in vitro diagnosis.
The life sciences industry is concentrated in three major clusters of excellence
- 600 establishments, including 150 public and university-based research organizations
- Among the top-ranking cities in North America owing to its highly competitive operating costs in life sciences and medical technology: a cost-benefit of 24% (KPMG 2016)
- Areas of excellence recognized worldwide: cancer, genetics, genomics and proteomics, cardiovascular and metabolic diseases, neuroscience and mental health, personalized healthcare, aging
- 150 companies
- 85 research centres, chairs, groups and institutes
- Areas of excellence: advanced expertise in biopharmaceuticals and diagnostics, natural health products (cosmeceuticals and nutraceuticals), medical and health-related information technology
- Research and industrial fabric specializing in aging and rehabilitation
- Sherbrooke University Pole, Interdisciplinary Institute for Technological Innovation (3IT), Research Centre on Aging (RCA),
To learn more about the life sciences industry in Québec, contact the Québec Government Office covering your territory.