Research and innovation
Québec is a remarkable research and innovation powerhouse.
According to the most recent statistics, Québec devoted 2.32% of its GDP to R&D in 2013, the highest rate of any Canadian province. Québec is booming and is well positioned in the global scientific community. Indeed, the Québec population accounts for 0.1% of the world’s population, but Québec researchers participate in 1.0% of scientific publications at the international level.
A standout environment
- The highest number of researchers per thousand people employed in Canada: 10.2 per 1,000 (2013 data).
- A leader in numerous fields and in tune with global trends, Québec possesses a rich pool of talent and natural resources.
- With 18 universities, several of which stand out in international rankings, Québec trains a highly skilled workforce.
- Québec offers one of the most generous tax credit programs in the world.
A dynamic and sustainable environment
- A number of policies have been put in place to support the development of growth sectors and the emergence of new leading-edge sectors. The Québec government is proactive to ensure that it remains a frontrunner among knowledge economies.
- The cutting-edge research infrastructure that exists throughout Québec benefits from massive investments.
- The excellence of public research, including that of educational institutions, and its interaction with the vitality of Québec’s business community create a synergy that fosters and promotes a strong culture of innovation and a highly competitive business environment.
- Indeed, collaborative endeavours are the centrepiece of Québec’s vision of development. It should be added that Québec boasts various sectoral industrial research groups and pre-competitive research consortiums. It is also integrated into the main international research networks, and its researchers benefit from bilateral agreements with partners in various countries.
For more information on research and innovation in Québec, contact the Québec Government Office covering your territory.