This job advertisement aims to fill the position of Administration Assistant in the Administration department of the Québec Government Office in London.
The Government of Québec operates 31 offices around the world, 8 of which are in the following cities: Paris, Brussels, London, Munich, Mexico, New York, Tokyo and Dakar.
Through its offices abroad, the Ministry of International Relations and La Francophonie offers services, advice, and activities adapted to the characteristics of different countries to businesses, creators, researchers, and Québec institutions.
The Québec Government Office (DGQL) in London was opened in 1962. It represents the Québec government in the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland and the Nordic Countries. Its mandate is to develop and support economic, political, institutional and cultural exchanges with the territory.
For more information on the Québec Government Office in London (DGQL), please consult our website: www.quebec.org.uk.
The Administration department works closely with both the executive management of the Administration department of the Ministry, as well as the departments of the DGQL. As such it plays an essential role in coordinating the functioning of the Office. The Administration department coordinates all the activities linked to the management of human, financial, material and IT resources, as well as property management, technical services and the security of the DGQL.
Description of the Role
Under the immediate authority of the Head of Administration, the Administrative Assistant will hold the following key responsibilities:
• Check all requests for payments and suppliers’ invoices given by staff members, ensure the correct financial coding and send them to the Financial department at the Ministry for payment.
• Make payments by BACS transfer.
• Check employees’ expenses and make payments to their accounts following the current directives on the internal online portal.
• Prepare the DGQL monthly and yearly budget, as well as those of the other 6 departments, and check the accuracy of the information before sending the budgets to the other Heads of department and the Agent-General.
• Prepare monthly spreadsheets in order to replenish the accounts with the correct financial coding for expenditures by debit card, credit card, and petty cash, then send to the Financial department at the Ministry.
• Prepare the bank reconciliations on a monthly basis.
• Manage the payroll for locally recruited staff members: send the required information for employees’ pay and the relevant deductions at source to the appropriate departments.
• Send the reports of net salaries for payment to the Financial department at the Head Office, check the payroll reports, pay employees’ contributions to HMRC and to the pension providers.
• Liaise with our Payroll Company and HMRC to ensure the accuracy of the tax, NI, and end of year (P60, P11d) documents.
• Manage locally recruited staff members’ annual leave, sick leave and all other leave.
• Oversee the functioning of the technical office and communication services, and get in contact with suppliers or the IT department if necessary.
• Keep the inventory of the different supplies (office, maintenance, etc.) used by the DGQL and maintain adequate stocks.
• Prepare different reports (monthly required reports, payroll reports, pension reports) according to deadlines.
• Carry out other varied administrative tasks.
• A university degree or similar experience in a field related to the mandate.
• A minimum of 3 years’ experience.
• Accounting skills and great competence with figures.
• Excellent knowledge of French and English, both spoken and written.
• Good computer skills (Windows 7, Office Suite, Outlook, internal programmes).
• The candidate selected will have to undergo a DBS check.
• Proof of the right to work in the UK. The DGQL will not support any visa application.
• Demonstrate extremely good organisational skills, precision, rigour, discretion and independence.
• Be proactive, diplomatic and a team player.
• The post holder will have to familiarise themselves with the different governmental administrative processes and procedures which they will have to use in this role.
• Ability to meet deadlines and multitask.
• Maintain good communication with other colleagues and counterparts.
The Québec Government Office in London is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested candidates should send their CV and a cover letter by email to Mrs. Bhavna Seesarun (firstname.lastname@example.org) before 5pm (London time) on the 21th of September 2018. Please indicate the job title and number on all correspondence.
Annual salary: £34,509 (level 1)
Working week: 35 hours (Monday to Friday)
Other relevant information:
Professional references will be required.
Only selected candidates will be contacted.