The Premier of Québec, Pauline Marois, unveiled today her government's Transportation Electrification Strategy, which will involve total investments of over half a billion dollars by 2017.
The Strategy will spearhead the four strategic initiatives of Québec's Economic Policy – Putting Jobs First, which the Premier launched on October 7.
The Strategy sets out four key objectives:
• Quickly make more room for electric transportation, to make Québec a world leader in the field
• Build on Québec's electrical know-how
• Build the future around a strong, productive industrial sector
• Make Québec a model to emulate
• Invest 50 million dollars so that major players in electric transportation and related systems, including a world-class assembler, will be attracted to Québec.
• Create the Electric Transportation Institute, a world-class high-tech institute. The government is banking on Québec's engineering talent to innovate and make Québec a preferred location for R&D in transportation electrification.
• Encourage the teams of researchers in Québec's universities and specialized centres to get involved in research and network with researchers and industrialists outside the country.
• The Electric Transportation Institute will disseminate the results of its research and development and promote Québec's know-how to attract world-renowned researchers to Québec and obtain national and international mandates.